Chimney Repairs and Photos, 11/2014

Recent Chimney Repair Jobs and Photos

It's chimney repair time again in the Northeast! As a result, we're getting calls daily for "chimney leaks", which usually indicates a flashing failure, or perhaps a complete lack of flashing around a chimney, cracked crown cement, a missing cap, or chase cover. 

So here's a few photos of my assistant doing work - (please be patient with me, I'm not a photographer, I'm a roofer!) - on different chimneys during the past week. 

 Here he is cutting a reglet in a chimney face. What's a reglet? It's a groove in the brick and mortar that is made to accept the top ridge of flashing. It doesn't hurt the chimney, and it's supposed to be there. Afterwards we'll seal and protect the area well, and fix the cracked crown.

Here's a quick video of another roofer doing the cutting so you can see:


Afterward, the flashing is cut and bent into the reglet, and then nailed into the existing roof. The entire underside of the flashing is well sealed, and all sides are bent to force water away from the base of the chimney. And yep, my assistant got a haircut.


Here's another look at it from a different angle:


And here's just a little perspective on how high we really work every day! Yep, and this isn't even dreadfully high!

I've recently shared this one - a chimney chase cover install:


And a really snappy  looking chimney that I worked on:
Like that crown? Yep, that'll take care of those pesky leaks!




If you'd like to know what I can do for your ailing chimney, give me a call! We do free estimates in Suffolk County, NY. I'm the chimney doctor, diagnosing and healing sick chimneys. Did I mention they're my favorite job? There's nothing like a freshened up chimney to give a home safety and curb appeal. Have  a happy Fall and Winter season!



Comments

Unknown said…
Those chimneys are really high up there. Those guys must have nerves of steel to be able to work that high up. I would never be able to get up that high let alone fix a chimney like they do. http://excelchimney.com/home-chimney-repair-seattle/chimney-repair/

Popular Posts