Is It Dangerous To Handle Lead Roofing? 

DIY Roofers: Lead Roofing Materials Information



I just noticed that I'm getting a lot of searches about safety in handling lead roofing (by virtue of Google's cool statistics tool), and I'd like to give you some answers about this topic. 

  • Is it dangerous to handle lead roofing? 
Well, if you're talking about the lead flashing that I think you're talking about: Yes, and No. 

  1. Yes, because you must take precautions not to injure yourself, and:
  2. No, because it's not terrible hazardous. 

Let me give you a little information about it.

Lead flashing comes in large rolls that look like this: 


Not too intimidating, right? Actually, lead flashing has a warm spot in my heart. When I see it, I think of the hundreds of years that it's been in use, the wonderful new mixes that include tiny bits of other metals that aid it in growing a beautiful patina, and how long it can last: up to 200 years!!! It's easy to feel warm and fuzzy about lead when it's this useful. 

Here is a picture of my assistant installing a lead flashing: 



As you can see, He's wearing gloves as he installs it. We recommend that any time you handle roofing materials, lead or not, that you protect your hands. It's just the smart thing to do. There are many dangerous aspects to roofs - one of which is the rusty nail. Get pricked by that, and you should take a trip to the Emergency room for a tetanus shot (if you can't remember the last time you had one.) Failing to do that could cause lock-jaw. Not pretty. 

In direct reflection of that, lead flashing is a pussycat. After several years on your roof, it will have a protective patina coating it that will render the lead unable to contact the air - making it harmless!
I know, because I did my research in a previous article: 
Lead Flashing: Is It Dangerous?

What I found out was that this patina protects the environment from the lead. If you remove it, be careful to try not to bend it. If you break the patina, the lead will become exposed again. In that case, since you'e wearing gloves, you will be safe. Place it in a well-sealed plastic bag. It can be recycled. In fact, it's one of the most efficiently recycled metal in the world. Nearly all the lead will be used to create even more lead flashing in the future, making it a sustainable resource. It also takes very little effort to melt lead, making it carbon-efficient. That's a very tiny footprint in carbon emissions - that means lead is Green! Feeling happier about lead now? 




After you've finished your demolition, be sure to wash your hands in cool water, with plenty of soap. Then move on to washing your face with cool water, as well. Why? You don't want to open your pores with hot water if you have lead residue on your skin. It's just like washing yourself if you think you've been exposed to poison ivy. After you've cleaned yourself pretty well, you can follow-up with some warmer water if you like. 
This is my regular routine, every day that I work. My assistant and I work with lead every day, but because we take the proper precautions, we're healthy and safe. 


  • Okay, let's say you handled the lead flashing, you bent it with your bare hands, and you immediately stuck your fingers in your mouth

You'll be fine, according to the National Poison Control Center that I just called. Their # is 1-800-222-1222. The nice lady  there explained to me that lead poisoning usually happens when you are continually exposed to lead, like on an everyday basis. She also said that if you're concerned about lead exposure, that you can call your doctor and have a lead blood level test done. But chances are, unless you play with the lead on an everyday basis you're healthy. 


I hope this answered your questions about lead roofing materials, but if you're still unsure, give me a call. 

Your Blogging Roofer, 
Nick Muja
Best Quality Roofing and Chimney, Inc.
631-281-9100



Comments

Popular Posts