How Much Will MyTemporary Repair Cost? Tarp Nightmare.

I Need a Tarp, But I Can't Spend A Lot.

Yesterday my administrative assistant got a call from a worried client. She was cordial on the phone, listening intently to the client's needs, being understanding when he said that he didn't have a lot of money to spend, and assuring him that we would do what he wished: Cover his badly leaking roof with a tarp before the impending storm. He mentioned that the roof had not been repaired since Super Storm Sandy - and that means that this roof is in really, really bad shape.

This was an emergency call that came in a 3pm - so I had to rush to Home Depot to pick up a very large tarp meant for roof protection. Then I went out on the hour-long excursion to my client's house, bearing the tarp that I bought specifically for his house. One would think that with an impending rain storm that this client would be eager to get the tarp over his roof, spending a reasonable amount of money for the service. (The tarp cost $115.) 


I took a look at the roof to be covered, determined that the tarp I'd bought would work out well, and approached the client to talk pricing. What he said floored me: He wanted to pay $150 for the entire service. 
This wouldn't pay for my gas going back and forth, not to mention my time and labor. As pictured above, the tarp would need many strips of wood to secure it to the roof. I asked him where he got such an idea, and he promptly informed me that my secretary had mentioned this as a price for the service.
Sadly for the client, I had to refuse service and return to the office. Tonight's rain will undoubtedly cause some serious damage if he has leaks, and I will have to return a tarp that I waited on line for an hour last night after a very hard day's work. 

When I returned to the office, I discussed this client's claims with my administrative assistant, who was just as confused as I was. She vehemently denied having discussed a price with the client, knowing that I always insist upon seeing the site before giving an estimate. She said she had informed the client of this. 

So what do I do here? I informed my administrative assistant to call me after each and every call, whether or not an appointment has been set, and to inform me of the topic of discussion with the client.

I hope that clients will understand that assuming a price before I actually see their situation is not good practice, Neither is waiting 2 years before performing a temporary solution on a home that will likely be ruined by an impending storm.

What can you do? Call me for a free estimate on a sunny day. Call when the weather is good, and that way you'll know how much it will cost to protect your home in case the weather turns bad. An estimate is free. Put a little money aside for a temporary repair - don't wait till it's an emergency and there's nothing in your bank account. I'll be there for you either way - but call me today. 631-281-9100. -Nick. 


Comments

Popular Posts